Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Painting Tanks - Side by Side - 3D Print vs Battlefront Model

I gave away the Tiger II that I had painted so need another one for my "Convergence of 3D Printing and Model Building" diorama.  Decided to do two and compare the process between my 3D Printed version and a Battlefront Cast model.  This post will be the first of that comparison series.

Here is the hull of the 3D printed version with the support material still in place.  This stuff is a pain to remove!

Below is a first pass at removal of the support materials and as you can see from the second photo there is still cleanup to be done.


Here is the cleaned up model ready for primer.   I should have timed the process as I do not remember how long the cleanup took...but it was not a trivial exercise (couple hours maybe).  Note the open hatches.  I was able to modify the model for this look. 


Below is a first look at the two hulls side by side.  The cast model, at least I assume that the hull is cast?, is 'def more detailed than the 3D Print but that is only a matter of what is included in the design, not what a printer is capable of producing.  The Battlefront model also relies on some add-on parts that will give additional depth and pop.  More on this later.


Here is the ready to assemble Battlefront model.  First a clean of all the parts to remove any left overs from the casting process.

 Side by Side Notes
3D Print 
Battlefront

Cleanup
A lot of work goes into cleaning up the support material.  I find that the higher the resolution the harder the cleanup job. 
Fair amount of cleanup here as well especially for the parts from the sprue.  Also need to wash parts in prep for painting.
Assembly
None required
Additional work is required but having these add on parts adds depth and detail to the model.  Figuring out where things go and how they fit was a little harder than I expected.
Heft
It is light!  This could easily be remedied using some lead weights or something in the hull and maybe even bottom of the turret though this will require some additional work.
Not light!  Feels like a tank.

Next Post in Series:  Side by Side - Ready to Start Painting

Previous Posts in the Painting Tanks thread:

First Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment